How to Re-establish Your relationship With Food after an Eating Disorder is part of the Food Experience Unplugged Video Series. The series spotlights a variety of ways people create positive food experiences, and demonstrates how you can use these “ingredients” to create positive food experiences in your own life.
According to the National Eating Disorder Association, over 30 million people in the United States suffer from eating disorders – everyone from young children to seniors. Eating disorders have the ability to derail, or even end, your life.
In the presence of an eating disorder, there are no positive food experiences. Patients must re-establish their relationship with food in order to overcome the eating disorder and move forward in their lives.
According to EmRee Pugmire, a marriage and family therapist specializing in eating disorders, “When you are connected with an eating disorder, that eating disorder disconnects you from all other aspects of life.”
In this video, learn how eating disorders create an unhealthy relationship with food, and how people can overcome those challenges and create positive food experiences in their lives.
· Learn what eating disorders are, and the extent of the problem
· Understand how having an eating disorder affects your relationship with food
· Uncover the steps necessary to overcome an eating disorder
· Understand the role of environment within the realm of eating disorders
· Discover how to re-establish your relationship with food following an eating disorder
· Learn to establish protective boundaries in order to create positive food experiences
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: What experiences in this video impacted you the most? Let us know in the comments below or on social media!