This penne with roasted red pepper sauce and veggies dish is a light and flavorful pasta dish that veggie lovers will adore! The sheer variety of veggies is enough to make your mouth water!
The use of half and half reduces the fat and calories while still bringing in that creamy taste.
The additional veggies mixed into the sauce enhances the flavor and texture. You can visually recognize the flavors and textures.
Adding fresh basil instead of parsley gives the dish a bolder flavor.
Other pasta shapes would also work with this dish. You may want to focus on the pasta shapes that can hold sauce well, such as shell pasta, rigatoni, etc. The sauce bursts out of the pasta with every bite!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 16 ounces Penne pasta (or your favorite pasta shape)
- 3 red bell peppers, halved
- 2 bell peppers, any color, medium chopped
- 6 large tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large zucchini, medium chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, medium chopped
- 1 medium red onion, small sliced
- 1 bunch fresh Italian basil, leaves only, small chopped
- 16 ounces Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons Tuscan or Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place the 3 red bell peppers and the tomatoes in a medium mixing bowl. Toss with the avocado oil, 1 tablespoon Tuscan or Italian Seasoning, and ½ teaspoon salt. Place the seasoned and oiled vegetables on a baking sheet. Roast the vegetables at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Place the remaining vegetables in a medium mixing bowl. Toss with the avocado oil, 1 tablespoon Tuscan or Italian Seasoning, and ½ teaspoon salt. Place the seasoned and oiled vegetables onto a baking sheet (a separate baking sheet from the other vegetables). Roast the vegetables at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Note: Depending on the size of your oven, you may be able to roast both veggie pans at the same time.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions (for firmer pasta, cook the pasta one minute less than the package directs, since the pasta will cook in the sauce for a few minutes). Reserve ½ cup pasta water. Drain the pasta, rinse, and set aside.
- Place the roasted red bell peppers and tomatoes into a food processor. Process for 1 minute, or until well blended. Pour into a large sauce pan or stew pot. Add the half and half and the vegetable broth. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of seasoning. Simmer approximately 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add the remaining vegetables to the sauce. Add the cooked pasta. Stir to combine. Adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Bright Line: Substitute rice, farro, or quinoa for the pasta.
Keto/Atkins: Omit the pasta. You could add additional veggies to increase the ratio of veggies to sauce.
Paleo: Omit the pasta and the salt. You could add additional veggies to increase the ratio of veggies to sauce.
Vegan: Omit the half and half, and the parmesan cheese.
Vegetarian: Good to go!
Is there another alternative diet that we should include in this list? Let us know!